1. Darwen Tower walk number 1 starts from outside the main Post Office in the centre of Darwen, 5 The Circus, BB3 1BR
2. On the outside wall of the Post Office to the right of the Main Entrance you will find this plaque which indicates the direction to take.
3. Your walk takes you up the hill past the former home of the Darwen & County Gazette Offices.
4. Ahead of you on the Green is the former Provident Co-op building and the second plaque is visible on the wall directing you to turn left at this point up Borough Road.
5. As you walk up Borough Road you will see the third plaque on the corner of the former Co-op Bakery.
6. Beyond the Co-op Bakery building continue up Borough Road and Punstock Road will come into view on the right.
7. As you reach the end of the red brick wall the fourth plaque can be seen on that wall and Punstock Road is directly ahead.
8. As you enter Punstock Road the fifth plaque can be seen on the corner garden wall of the first house. This is the last of the plaques – take note of the railings on the garden walls as this is one road where they survived being removed for salvage in WW2.
9. At the top of Punstock Road do not turn into Kelvin Street but cross over the road to this path, the sign for which is hidden under the trees on the left of this photo.
10. Stay on this path until you reach Turn Lane.
11. When you reach this marker post keep right and continue up the path.
12. Over the wall on your right Pinfold Cottages will come into view across the field.
13. As you approach Turn Lane you will get your first view of Darwen Tower on your left.
14. At Turn Lane carry on straight ahead, do not turn right or left. The footpath marker is hidden under the brambles by the red notice opposite.
15. As you walk up the lane Sniddle Hill farm comes into view. Keep to the right of the farm buildings.
16. Beyond Sniddle Hill Farm there is a gate and the next footpath marker can be clearly seen on the right hand side of that gate.
17. Just beyond the gate is the first carved stone marker showing the route to the Tower.
18. The route at this stage is made clear by the appearance of paving slabs in the grass.
19. The route continues across this field between the two fences until you reach the gate at the top.
20. Take a moment at this point to admire the view over Darwen behind you.
21. As you approach the end of the field the path follows the line of the fence on your left until you reach the gate.
22. As you reach the gate the second carved stone marker appears showing the route to the Tower.
23. Having passed through the gate you are now on the path from Sunnyhurst to the Tower. Continue up this path and the next stone marker appears ahead with the Tower itself peeping over the skyline above.
24. As you clear the crest of the hill you should get your first full sight of the Tower. Beware – there are days when you do not get a nice fine day like this one was!
25. At the time of preparing this walk the Tower was still not open to the public following the renovations in 2021/22.
26. On leaving the Tower, retrace your steps down until you reach this junction and take the right hand fork to return via Bold Venture Park.
27. Having taken the right fork the path continues to curve away to the South and India Mill chimney comes into view.
28. At this point the path continues more or less straight on a gentle slope before levelling out. In front there is an uninterrupted view of the expanse of moorland above Darwen.
29. After levelling out the path winds its way along above Higher Trees Farm.
30. Below the path to your left, Higher Trees farm can be seen with the expanse of trees beyond which form Bold Venture Park.
31. Stay on the same path as it bends sharply to the left and commences a steep descent.
32. The path winds its way down towards Bold Venture Park, passing one of the many quarries on your left.
33. When you reach the fencing around Bold Venture Park, turn left and enter the park through the gate, by the side of which you will find one of the stone markers to the Tower.
34. On entering the park take the left hand path to the bottom gate.
35. As you make your way through the trees keep a look out for the sculptures which form part of the Sculpture Trail.
36. As you leave through the gate you will be on Manor Road. Turn left to follow the road around the lower park.
37. As you follow the road, continue around the bend past Granville Road.
38. Enter Westland Avenue which is opposite the next gate into the Park.
39. At the top of Westland Avenue turn right into Turn Lane.
40. Continue along Turn Lane until you reach the path which leads back down to Punstock Road and turn right down the path.
41. At the bottom of the path enter Punstock Road and continue down to meet Borough Road retracing your steps to the Post Office.