All About Us
Archives & Resources
What Is Happening Now
What ‘s New
How can you help?
‘100’ Club & Quizzes
Exhibitions in the Front Exhibition Room
Exhibitions in the Main Exhibition Room
Darwen in the War Years 1939-1947
Darwen Roll of Honour
Trams in Darwen
A Century of Darwen Weddings
***You can click on each image to enlarge it***
1. Opening Day souvenir.
2. Great excitement in Queen’s Square
3. The first tram arrives.
4. Standing room only.
5. They all want to sit on the top deck – must be summer!
6. Enclosed top deck with open balconies front and back.
7. The only traffic in Queen’s Square at the time.
8. The only competition was the horse and carriage.
9. The cables had to stretch a long way across the square.
10. Car number 14 at Sett End, complete with curtains.
11. Sudell Road with the tram tracks opening out to double track running.
12. Decorated tram on Sudell Road for King George V.
13. The precarious slope down to Bridge Street.
14. Great excitement at the tram’s descent.
15. I wonder who got to the top first – the tram or the three boys?
16. Disaster was just around the corner.
17. The bend proved too tight when this car got out of control.
18. A wonder that there were so few injuries.
19. The Billiard Hall suffered just as much.
20. Bridge Street with the intricate cable layout.
21. The terminus at the Circus along the side of the former County Bank.
22. The decorated tram for Edward VII at the Circus Terminus.